Giving up rice has been a challenge for us. I am quite fond of Asian dishes, but they all seem to use rice as an accompaniment. I had heard a lot about quinoa, but was frankly a bit timid about trying it. I’m happy to say that I have conquered my fears and we are now all enjoying quinoa as our new rice substitution! This week’s recipe is one that I used to really enjoy making because it’s easy and mouth-watering tasty. (The original recipe is from The Amazing “Almost-Everything-Free” Cookbook: Tasty Solutions to Highly Restricted Diets by Phyllis Pacella, PhD.) But, when we took rice out of our diet, I stopped cooking it. So, I thought I’d see what would happen if I tried it with quinoa…it’s a winner!
GFCF Sausage, Peppers and Quinoa Stir Fry (Nicholas Rating = 10 Thumbs Up!)
12 oz. sausage (I used Aidell’s Chicken & Apple Sausage)
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
1 medium onion, diced
1 Tbsp gluten-free soy sauce (sometimes called Tamari Sauce)
1 cup uncooked quinoa
3 Tbsp coconut oil
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
2. While quinoa is cooking, slice sausages into 1/2-inch thick slices.
3. Saute sausages in 2 Tbsp coconut oil and soy sauce until browned.
4. Remove sausage from pan and set aside, leaving any excess oil and sausage fragments in pan.
5. Add 1 Tbsp coconut oil to pan and saute onions and peppers, stirring occasionally.
6. Add cooked sausage and cooked quinoa to vegetables, mix and heat thoroughly.