I have a monkey living with me, his name is Nicholas; he looks like a boy, but since he eats so many bananas I often call him “my monkey.” Well, that and his interest in climbing trees, play structures…you get the idea! My monkey keeps asking for new breakfast ideas from me. So, I decided to try transforming banana bread into french toast. The banana bread recipe is from a wonderful blog called Comfy Belly and then I modified a french toast recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, 15th Edition (Better Homes & Gardens Plaid). The experiment was a delicious success, I’m happy to report!
French Toast for Monkeys (Nicholas Rating = 100 Thumbs Up!)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup coconut milk (from carton)
2 Tbsp white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
8 slices of banana bread (see link below)
2 – 4 Tbsp coconut oil for cooking the french toast
1. Make the Banana Bread Recipe (courtesy of Comfy Belly). Let it cool completely, or make it the night before. Slice it into thick slices.
2. In a shallow mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. Dip banana bread slices into the mixture and let it soak in for about 10 seconds per side.
4. In a skillet or griddle, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add 2-3 pieces of banana bread at a time and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining slices, adding more coconut oil to skillet if needed.
5. Serve warm with maple syrup or honey!