ELISA is an acronym for Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. The ELISA can be used for food allergies, like dairy or gluten intolerance. It can also tell you whether you are allergic to other things, like watermelon or garlic. Many people with autoimmune diseases, like Aspergers/Autism, have what is called a “delayed food reaction” which causes them to experience bowel issues, general stomach discomfort, or even behavioral reactions. The ELISA is a screening tool to determine what foods are causing problems and is often recommended to be done before starting any type of specialized diet, such as the GFCF Diet.

However, it is difficult to walk in to your typical doctor’s office and request an ELISA test because many doctors considered this to be “fake science.” (I would bet they don’t have someone in their household that has seen dramatic results from eliminating certain foods, though!) In order to get an ELISA test done, the best route is to either work with a physician who is considered an advocate of biomedical treatment of autism and other autoimmune diseases, formerly referred to as DAN! Doctors. You can submit all the samples and pay for testing on your own through various companies (see below), but by working with a physician, you will be able to discuss your testing results and then devise a plan for better health based on your ELISA test results.

When my son did his ELISA test, we found that he tested very high for garlic and yeast, but lower for other things like nuts. Through the advice of his biomedical specialist, we have eliminated garlic and yeast from his diet, but he does eat nuts sometimes. Some doctors will even have you eliminate anything that showed a reaction and then slowly rotate these foods in to see how the person will react.

Here are several well-known companies that offer ELISA tests for food allergies/intolerances. The only one I have personally used is the Great Plains Laboratory and they were very thorough. (Please use the following links, at your own risk; I am not a physician and cannot recommend any testing protocols specifically for you!)

Great Plains Laboratory   (need a physician to authorize testing if you live in the U.S.)

Accesa Labs (claim that you don’t need a doctor’s authorization)

Complete Nutrition & Wellness  (require a physician to authorize testing)

Discussion Questions (please add your comments below) –

Have you done food allergy testing and did you find it helpful?

What food(s) did you eliminate from your diet as a result of the testing?

Do you recommend a specific doctor and/or lab?