Before I went gluten-free, I used to enjoy the Morning Buns at Starbuck’s Coffee. Not only were they a wonderful compliment to a cup of coffee, but Nicholas enjoyed eating one as a snack too! That all changed when we went gluten-free and casein-free. Until now, since I’ve almost replicated the flavors in this tasty Gluten-Free Cinnamon Bun; adapted from a recipe called “Cinnamon Butter Puffs” in The Breakfast Book. Nicholas agreed that the flavors and moistness of the muffin are an amazing resemblance to the Starbuck’s Morning Bun. Hope you enjoy them too!
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Buns (Nicholas Rating = 1 Trillion Thumbs Up!!)
canola oil spray
1/3 c organic vegetable shortening
1/2 c white sugar
1 c almond meal
1/2 c coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c coconut milk (from the carton)
1/2 c melted coconut oil
1/2 c white sugar combined with 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins with canola oil spray.
2. Beat together shortening, sugar, and eggs in mixing bowl. Add flours, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg and mix thoroughly.
3. Add milk and beat until blended and smooth.
4. Fill muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
5. For the topping, have melted coconut oil ready in one bowl and another bowl with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
6. Once muffins are cooked, remove them from muffin tin and dip them individually first into coconut oil and then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
7. These taste fantastic while they are still warm, or reheat them if you need to for a later meal.