I adapted this fantastic breakfast bread from this recipe. Since we can no longer use even regular, gluten-free flour at our house, I’ve had to adapt some recipes even further. (Gluten-free flour is a good product, but it has rice in it and my son has had to remove rice from his diet.) So, since we really enjoyed this quick bread when I made it before with the GF Flour, I thought I’d try to make it with a combination of coconut flour and almond meal. It worked beautifully and Nicholas and I agreed this version is even better than the previous one! Just a note – we have never made it with the glaze that is suggested in the original recipe. Please post any thoughts or comments if you try this bread and DO make the glaze!
Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Coconut Orange Quick Bread
(Nicholas Rating = 100 Thumbs Up!)
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp coconut flour
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
grated zest of 1 medium orange
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup canned coconut milk
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 large eggs
fresh squeezed juice from 1 medium orange
1. Grease one 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Mix almond meal, coconut flour, white sugar, baking soda, salt, orange zest and shredded unsweetened coconut in a large bowl. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine.
3. Add the coconut milk, olive oil, eggs, and orange juice and mix until well blended.
4. Using a spatula, scrape out batter into the loaf pan. Let batter set, uncovered for about 30 minutes. While batter is resting, preheat oven to 350.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Set the loaf pan on a cooling rack and let cool at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
6. Remove bread from pan and allow to cool on wireless rack for another 30 minutes.
7. Wrap bread in parchment or plastic and refrigerate or freeze.