No, we didn’t abandon the “casein-free ship”! This recipe is for gluten-free, casein-free macaroni and “cheese” with bacon; the “cheese” is created from a variety of different elements, but contains no dairy at all. The result is a satisfying hearty macaroni and cheese that is sophisticated enough for adult palates, too. My son had no trouble believing this was macaroni and “cheese”; in fact, he looked a bit worried that I was serving him something with cheese in it! I reassured him he wasn’t actually eating cheese and then he happily devoured this dish.
Gluten-Free, Casein Free Macaroni & “Cheese” with Bacon (Nicholas Rating = 10 Thumbs Up!)
Sauce Ingredients -
1 cup coconut milk (from the carton)
1/2 cup sweet potato, peeled
2 Tbsp cashews
2 Tbsp yellow onion
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
additional ingredients -
3 cups uncooked pasta (I used fusilli corn pasta from Trader Joe’s)
8 strips bacon
2 organic eggs
2 green onions, diced
canola oil spray
1/2 cup almond meal
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 4-cup casserole dish with canola oil spray. Prepare pasta as per package instructions; leaving slightly al dente.
2. To make the sauce: peel sweet potato, stab with fork a couple of times, and place in microwave on “potato” setting. Meanwhile, combine all the rest of the sauce ingredients in a blender. Add cooked sweet potato, and blend until smooth. Transfer to a frying pan on medium heat and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes before removing from heat and setting aside.
3. Meanwhile, fry bacon in a large frying pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan, dab grease off with paper towels. Cut into small bits and set aside.
4. To make topping – combine all “topping” ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
5. Whip eggs with handheld mixer until frothy. In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta, prepared sauce, bacon bits, frothed eggs, and green onions. Stir to combine.
6. Drop mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with topping.
7. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until top is golden brown. All to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
**(Recipe adapted from: “Comforting Baked Mac ‘n Cheese with Bacon” recipe by Leanne Vogel at Recipage.)